Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Eulogy: Amazing Grace through Mom's Blessed Life

For everyone who has lost a parent, here is Lorraine's eulogy she gave about her mother. This message touched people in various stages of faith / no faith. I hope to that this message can challenge each of us to appreciate our mom's on both sides of eternity. - Pastor Tom


1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV) of the Bible read, “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

Today is not a sad but joyous occasion as we come together to celebrate my mom’s life in Christ.  We are also here to witness how our family has been truly blessed by the Lord through her.

1. A life of giving

Mom’s passing reminds me of the message of hope that was delivered at the recent regimental funeral for the three fallen Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers who died in the line of duty in Moncton, New Brunswick a month ago.  The pastor of one of the fallen officers reminded us this:

“Life is a gift to be lived one day at a time. Life is not about what you get, but what you give.”

For those who know my mom, they would know that she is all about giving.  Her love for her family, friends, and community and for the Lord is clearly demonstrated by the outpouring support we have received in the past week from around the world, and by the number of people who are gathering here today to give thanks to the Lord for her life.

We shall remember her professionalism in everything she did and all that she had given to others, whether it was her job as a pharmacist or her role as a homemaker.  She was a great wife, mother and grandmother.  Her cooking skills and knowledge of all things arts and crafts are legendary. 

I still remember the day when mom brought me and my brother to Canada by herself on July 1984 so that we could have a better education and future here.  She flew back to Hong Kong where she and my dad continued to work to save up money for their final move to Canada on October 1990. This was her love for us, to sacrifice our time together as a family for six long years so that we could all have a better life in Canada.

I am sure my brother and my nephew would agree with me that mom would go out of her way to spoil us with everything we want, and even things that we did not ask for. There was never a need for begging or for the question of “mom can I have that?”

2. Overcoming hardships

Mom was also resilient with life’s many hardships.  She was no stranger to the operating room.  From the complications of the birth of my brother and me, being a cancer survivor for over 17 years, to living with dementia in her final years of her life and everything else in between, mom overcame each and every one of life’s challenges being a stronger and a more loving person.  Even with all of the hardships that she endured; mom always wore that beautiful smile on her face because she knew Jesus was with her.  God gave her a blessed life that she lived to bless others.

3. God’s grace is sufficient for us

Mom had always been a believer in Christ and she made us go to church on Christmas morning as criteria to open our gifts.  I never understood why that was important until I too chose to give my life to Christ when I was older, and especially when God began to transform me the day I came to my current church in Mississauga in 2004.  Even after she was diagnosed with dementia, mom still committed to going to church every week, serving the Lord and reading God’s Word daily.

God’s grace is sufficient for all of us.  Mom was diagnosed with a mixed type of dementia in November 2009.  Although it was challenging at times for us to watch her condition deteriorate year after year, we were able to enjoy many happy moments with her during those times. 

God has also worked through my mom to bless me and to make me a stronger person during these trying times.  Through my mom, God let me know that trust is having faith in Him that He will do what He has promised.  He will love us and never forsake us.  From when we first learned in early April of this year about the possibility that mom could be leaving us at any time, God has everything planned to prepare us for what happened last Friday when mom passed away.  God is always on time, He is never early and He is never late.

God tells us through His Word in 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV), “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”


Father we praise you for mom’s life, and we thank you for letting us witness your love and your work through her.  We are truly blessed with her wonderful life.  In Jesus’ glorious name we pray, and in His glorious name we praise!  Amen.

Praising the Lord for Mom’s Blessed Life by Lorraine Fung
Delivered on July 5, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment